Monday, December 15, 2014

Editor's Letter: LIGHTS

3:58 AM

Share it Please

Salut, Thingamabobs! (I am taking French 1 now, so it's sort of appropriate. I used salut instead of bonjour because I think that we're on a casual level by now anyway, and I have no idea what time you'll be reading this).

It's finally the most wonderful time of the year! We're at the point in the season when EDSA becomes a parking lot (more than usual), malls are overflowing with last-minute gift-shoppers, and people are scrambling to re-wrap and re-label gifts they've received! Ahh, I can already smell the queso de bola and bibingka...

All of those things are probably what also make this season double as the most stressful time of the year. I don't know about you, but what makes up for all of that is getting to see all of the festive decorations and Christmas lights strung up everywhere I go. More houses are all pimped up with blinking lights and inflatable Santa figures.

Our theme for the next two months is LIGHTS, and we hope to wring out as much as we can in that time. One of the key things that we'll be exploring is the flexibility of the word itself. After emailing the other editors, I found out that it can be interpreted in so many different ways depending on the situation you currently find yourself in.

Since I've been studying about the Renaissance period this semester, the first concept that came to my mind was enlightenment. For me, there are two kinds of instances where one becomes enlightened: those thrilling 'aha' moments (think: when you're in the shower and suddenly figure out the solution to that math problem you'd been working on for forever) (hello psych and Wolfgang Kohler), and those life-changing realizations ("in that moment, I swear we were infinite" and all that jazz) that make you feel as though you've uncovered all the secrets of the universe.

Those are all very sparkly insights that make me think of describing them as “dandy” and “swell,” but there are also darker sides to the theme. I am writing this upon getting home from a long day out. It is late, and I am drained. You know that you've had it with life and everything when it's 12am and instead of writing the last page of a paper due in a couple of hours, you're watching a vine of a cat giving a presidential speech on Ebola (over and over again) or aimlessly scrolling through your Facebook news feed. Finals and midterms and projects and papers are exhausting to study for and at one point, you just know that you need to take a break from everything.

In the sense of electrical lighting, no matter how bright your light source shines when it is first turned on, it will eventually burn out. (unless of course someone invents/has invented an infinity light or something, then forget I said that).

In other words: there are so many different ways to interpret lights, and I sure hope that you share what it means to you with us! I don't know what I'm saying anymore, so I am going to take the easy way out and wish you guys a Merry Christmas (or merry Christmas break for all you people who don't celebrate it).

Here's to the real kind of Christmas cheer and holiday spirit! Also: bring on 2015!!!!

Au revoir and more awkward hugs,
Gaby


P.S.
Please take a moment to appreciate our new sparkly header.

P.P.S.
We are still accepting submissions for the 2nd wave of LIGHTS. Send your photos, OOTDs, and writing to thethingonline@gmail.com! (or else).


Poster by Reese Lansangan

0 comments:

Post a Comment