Sunday, May 17, 2015

OOTD: When you were young

3:10 AM

Share it Please

I always manage to find something new to squeal over when I go through my mom’s closet. This time was no exception, as I had found what I thought to be the perfect outfit. It was a matching top and skirt made with thin fabric patterned with grey snake skin. The top’s cut was reminiscent of the early 2000s because of its halter neck. The matching skirt was a simple straight silhouette. Ideally, these two would be worn together like what I did, but seeing as it is not a dress, they can be worn apart too. To maintain the 2000s vibe the outfit gives, I chose to wear it with a simple choker, and to give it a darker twist, I wore a pair of dark Doc Martens boots.

I’m not sure if the top and skirt were sentimental to my mother in any way, but it definitely means something to me. It's one of those things that reminded me that my mother and I have our similarities, despite seeming so different all the time. It’s kind of refreshing to see clothes you like in your relatives’ old closets; a window into what they looked like or what their personalities were before you were born.

At first, I found it hard to believe and even denied the fact that I am the spitting image of my mother when she was a teenager, but a good rummaging-through-her-closet was all I needed to actually confirm this. It’s good to remember that older people were once young like us—they dressed like us and did stupid things like us. A revival of a piece of clothing is more than just wearing it again, it’s the action of going back to one’s roots and remembering, but not dwelling on the past.

To quote George R. R. Martin, “To go forward, you must go back.”

Photo and article by Anto
----
Unknowingly inheriting her mother’s sense of style from the '90s, Anto admits to stealing clothes from her mother’s old closet at times. Anto takes most of her fashion cues from modern street style and the '90s period up to the transitional period of the '00s.

0 comments:

Post a Comment