Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Mystery of Yellow Books

7:58 PM

Share it Please

Just like any other nine-year-old girl, I loved playing make-believe. I pretended I was a detective, solving mysteries I’d invented for myself around our house: finding missing keys under hidden book shelves, slipping through imaginary trap doors, and sometimes stumbling across chocolate bars my brother attempted to hide from me. But my fascination with becoming the greatest super sleuth didn’t begin with me: it began with my mother. 

Growing up, I always had a shelf filled with dozens of yellow hardcover books containing the many adventures of Nancy Drew and her friends.  Whether it was discovering a secret jewelry box or venturing into haunted mansions, she solved it all. My mother immersed herself in the same world when she was my age, and left behind all the clues for me to discover. Though the pages of the books she passed on were somewhat torn and required a bit of dusting, I’d wonder what she was like back then, reading the same book I now held. My mother and I often saw eye to eye. She’d read me stories as we lay down on her big bed until I fell asleep and dreamt up my own tall tales.

Since then, Nancy has evolved (think the Emma Roberts film adaptation and the Nancy Drew Notebook series), and so have we: My mother and I don’t always see eye to eye, and since those days three more siblings and an infinite to-do list have been added to the mix. I have since stopped playing pretend, and adulthood has come with a lot more mysteries than the ones I used to create for myself. I’ve discovered that there is a lot more to a story than figuring out the good guys from the bad guys.
I’ve also realized that some things never change. 

At the end of the day, my mother and I can still lie down side by side on her big bed. We now read our own stories (her on her Kindle and me with my paperbacks), but every so often, we find ourselves sharing stories with each other, too.


Art by Pio
Article by Katrina
----

Katrina biggest life goals include becoming a mermaid, and figuring out how many cupcakes she can eat without gaining weight. You can follow her on Twitter or Instagram at @kkotrono.


Pio is an aspiring animator and artist. A gentle giant, it's hard for him to go unnoticed anywhere, but gives him attention when he draws in public.

0 comments:

Post a Comment